Manifesto


So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. (Romans 10: 17 ESV)

Starting in 2010

An ordinary girl makes a resolution.

Talk to 365 complete strangers
In the space of 365 days
About the extraordinary figure
That is Jesus.

Sharing the hope
That all Christians hold.
Out of love
Because He first loved.

Documented here, anonymously, are those conversations.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Rejections

Here's a special edition. Memorable rejections of 09.

Perhaps the most memorable rejection from 2009 is one that almost brought me to tears. I remember being quite upset. I have no idea why. I am generally not an emotive person and things don't normally get to me so easily.

I had buzzed someone on the security intercom and done my regular introductory spiel. Very quickly the person buzzed us through and told us to come up to his apartment. I was surprised that this person was so willing to talk and let us in. Perhaps he had misheard, though I was sure I spoke clearly on the intercom. But I let my doubts lie and hoped that it would be a good conversation. I was optimistic as I bounded up those stairs to the apartment.

But my optimism was misplaced. The man had mistaken us for someone else he was waiting for. When he found out that we were Christian evangelists he became very frustrated. He told us we had deceived him into letting us in. He resented what we did and asked us whether we knew what we were doing was disrespectful. He told us to get out and forced us down the stairs.

It took several moments to gather myself after this encounter. My partner at the time was a Christian girl who had never evangelised before. She was noticeably distressed and I tried hard to not let my own dejection show. I don't think it was the rejection itself that upset me so much. I had been rejected many times before. It was more the fact this man who had rejected us wasn't a particularly grumpy sort of person. He looked and seemed perfectly normal. If we had met on the street in different circumstances I'm sure he would have been sociable and hospitable. It shocked me that the issue of faith could repulse someone so. We had made him so angry. It hurt to know that someone, a total stranger, who didn't know me at all, could hate me so much just because of what I believe.

People often respond by saying that, well I don't hate you for what you believe, I hate you for what you do, for evangelising and trying to make me believe. But I guess evangelism comes part and parcel with faith. What does it say about what you believe in if you don't think it's worthwhile sharing?

At times like this, I think you've just got to move.

On a lighter note, here are some more humorous rejections:

Approached a man in his garden on a sunny afternoon. I said 'hi'. He paused for about 5 seconds, eyeing us. He then shot off at the speed of light, running back into his house. He slammed the door loudly. Then he opened the door again and slammed it again. Opened it once more and slammed it for a third time. Point taken.

Man answered door holding 2 large dogs on a leash. He didn't say anything. He just looked at me and then looked at his dogs. Then I left. I love gated communities. The hounds will be released any moment now.

Woman accused me of being a Jehovah's Witness.

Man accused me of being a Mormon.

Man told me he was an atheist. Then told me to go to hell. Irony?

Man pretended he didn't speak English, even though he was reading the Sydney Morning Herald.

Woman gave me $5 to go away. (I didn't take it.)

Student told me she was busy. Then resumed reading a copy of Cosmo magazine.

Law student told me she was busy. Then resumed reading Fed Con textbook (joking).

1 comment:

  1. I once had a similar rejection. A man said he was "flabberghasted" that we should approach him on his own poperty to talk about Christian stuff.

    I personally would be flabberghasted if someone had something as valuable as eternal life and kept it to himself when it was meant for all.

    ReplyDelete